Since 1763 the name 'Russborough' has been synonymous with collecting and dealing in fine art. In the closing decades of the last century the historic town of Port Hope has become home to Lord Russborough's Annex, which specialises in an individual mix of antique maps, paintings and prints.

While Lord Russborough's Annex features a great many works of museum calibre, we also offer a wonderful selection of prints priced at under $100.

 
Last of the coaches

H?
The last of the coaches

Hand-Coloured stone lithograph, glazed, red stained wood frame 8 1/2 x 10 3/4" Frame 12 x 14 1/2"
Ref. GH85(140) /DNN /r.ando>DOL     PRICE CODE B

This poignant image depicts the end of one era and the beginning of the next – the Victorian industrial age. The Royal Mail coach service, begun in the 1780s, flourished until the coming of the railways in 1830. It was not long before mail was being carried by the cheaper and faster railway and the coaches were phased out. This picture shows the London to Louth, Lincolnshire, coach being loaded onto the railway and the four horses which would have drawn it being led away. (c1840).

Temporary Locomotive Gt Vic Bridge Mont

Temporary Locomotive, workmens houses and workshops Great Victoria Bridge, Montreal
Together with: Construction of the Great Victoria Bridge in Canada.

by James Hodges, engineer, to Messrs. Peto, Brassey, and Betts, contractors. Title page designed by John Thomas. Kell Bros. Lithographers. Privately printed for H.R.H. the Prince of Wales. London 1860.

Colour stone lithograph. published by John Weare London 1860 8 1/4 x11 3/8” (21x 28.9 cm)
Ref.LRA957p /ANL/o.dnse >ALN PRICE CODE B


This fine image depicts one of the temporary locomotives built to assist in the construction of The Great Victoria Bridge across the St Lawrence river at Montreal. The Bridge is one of the great engineering achievements of the 19th century. At the time of its construction it was the largest bridge project in the world. It was also the last major project of the last of the "legendary" engineering figures of the Victorian era of engineering, Robert Stephenson. The Grand Trunk, a British company formed with the support of the Canadian government to connect the Great Lakes with the Atlantic, would achieve the great feat of building the first bridge over the St. Lawrence River.

The Victoria Bridge, built between 1854 and 1859 and inaugurated by the Prince of Wales in 1860, was the crucial piece in the "longest railway in the world owned by a single company," as the shareholders of the time boasted (the other systems consisted of small, independent railways). No less than three miles long, the bridge included 24 ice-breaking piers, for the designers rightly feared damage from ice, which would in fact delay construction work during the first years. The original deck was a long structural metal tube made of wrought iron prefabricated sections designed by Robert Stephenson, son of the builder of the famed 'Rocket locomotive', made in England and shipped transatlantic.


Together with

Title pg Gt Vic Bridge

 

The chief engineer was James Hodges. The contractors were the English partnership of Petro, Brassey, and Betts, who completed the bridge shortly after Stephenson's death in 1859.
In 1897-1898, the metal tube from 1860 was replaced by metal trusses, common at the time. To minimize traffic disruptions, the trusses were assembled around the tube, while the tube continued to carry train traffic. The tube was then demolished.

The stone piers from 1860, slightly altered in 1897, still testify to the excellent original engineering. The Victoria Bridge is a key historic structure, one still used by the Canadian—and North American—rail systems, and remains a major contributor to Montreal's role as a continental hub.

NB E&NA Tender a NB E&NA tender b

European and North American Railway – New Brunswick Tender A & Tender B

Tender forms for work to be completed section 05 1857 Sailsbury District page size 13 x 8 ¼” (33x 21cm)
Ref.LRAp- /-/l.doov >LN       PRICE CODE A

Stock Cert PH B& L railway

Original Stock certificate Port Hope, Lindsay and Beaverton Railway Company


(Later Midland Railway) £100 stg. 1860-1880 with all its individually signed by Thomas Ridout (Sec). coupons intact. This original lithographic stock certificate is still legal tender. Sheet 21 ¾ x 16 5/8” (53.3x 42.2 cm)
Ref.LRAp- /-/s.doov >ARNN        PRICE CODE G

“The Southern Terminus of this Railway is in the Town of Port Hope; at this terminus there is now in course of construction, and intended to be completed simultaneously with the Railway, a capacious and secure artificial Harbour, which will be, not only the best on the north Shore of Lake Ontario between Kingston and Toronto, but will also be the only one entitled to be considered a Harbour of Refuge. At this point the Railway forms a convenient connexion with the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada.”  1856 Directory

The new railway received its charter on 18 December 1854 as The Port Hope, Lindsay and Beaverton Railway Company (PHL&B). With the failure of the Cobourg and Peterborough railway, the PHL&B now had exclusive access to Peterborough, which they retained for some time. Further expansions were slow in coming. The line did not reach its planned terminus in Beaverton until 1 January 1871. Construction reached Lindsay in late 1857.

The Port Hope, Lindsay & Beaverton Railway, became much longer line than originally planned. A further expansion launched in 1869 pushed the line westward towards Georgian Bay, and prompted renaming as the Midland Railway of Canada was a historical Canadian railway which ran from Port Hope, Ont. to Midland on Georgian Bay. On 10 March 1882 became a greatly expanded Midland Railway with 474 miles (763 km) of track. two years later the Grand Trunk Railway leased most of the lines in the area as part of a major expansion plan, and purchased them outright in 1893. It was eventually absorbed into the Canadian National Railway system.

Laying the foundation stone of the Victoria Bridge Severn Valley Railway.

Wood engraving. Illustrated London News December 17 1859 9 3/8 x 13 3/8” (13.8 x 34cm.)
Ref.LRA-p /- /r.dose >DS        PRICE CODE A

This key cast iron railway bridge was constructed over the Severn River at Arley in Worcestershire England, over the River Severn. At the time of construction, it had the longest cast iron span in Britain. Though not on the main line rail network, the bridge is still used today by the trains of the preserved Severn Valley Railway which has become a popular heritage line.
The original line which followed a 64km route was constructed 1858-62, and opened to through traffic on 31st January 1862 with public services commencing the following day. The bridge was designed by the railway’s chief engineer John Fowler (1817-98, knighted 1885) and constructed by contractors Thomas Brassey (1805-70), Samuel Morton Peto (1809-89) and Edward Ladd Betts (1815-72). The same contractors that engineered the Great Victoria Bridge in Montreal Canada. The ironwork was fabricated by the Coalbrookdale Company.

 

 

under construction